Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Girly Gun
08-14-2017, 07:51 PM
RE: Girly Gun
Nice Kurt------i really like 54 grains of Swiss 1 1/2----------you can watch the critters fall in the scope -----at least i can in this heavy Lone Star Roller Smile

I may crank it up and run a ladder from 58 to say 64 and see if there's another accuracy point up there

Drilled and tapped for the scope, so at least i can see the targets now-------my shooting partner is running the same 54 gr load in a new to him CPA----7 turkeys made him a happy camper

keep the updates coming

Dave

Ya ain't lost if ya don't care where ya are
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-14-2017, 08:07 PM
Dave.

When Brooks gets my mould finished I will do some serious load development. The BACO .396+ mould is just to large in diameter for this bore and sizing it down to .393 increases the bullet length and also shortens the ogive and increases the shank, I just don't like doing this to a bullet, but it seems to shoot reasonably well.
I ordered some seth cole 55 Y paper and got 6 rolls of it. For a vellum paper it's very soft and wraps well. It is a 7# .0015" and it lets me chamber a .395" .401" wrapped bullet by letting the breach block cam it the rest of the way. I shot 10 of those at the pigs but I missed more then I hit.
Fun is just starting..........Kurt

The reason a dog has so many friends is because he wags his tail instead of his tongue.
08-14-2017, 08:20 PM
I'm working with a Paul Jones GG 415 grains-------everything tips over very well so far Smile

i'll get to PP after i iron out this GG silhouette load

Yup fun for sure

Dave

08-18-2017, 07:17 PM (This post was last modified: 08-18-2017 07:22 PM by Kurt.)
Steve came through yesterday for me with the new mould I ordered and I think I might have the golden bullet from Brooks. I started up the lead pot and cast 50 and kept the best after the oil burned out of the blocks so I loaded up the first 3 shot ladder loads and conditions where almost perfect at the range today. The first go around I used the 390 gr secant ogive, I ordered a elliptical but it's more like a secant ogive 1.4" long. The nose is a little longer then I like and it might give me some problems in a strong head wind maybe, but this is to be found out when I get those conditions. All loads are made of 2F OE powder and CCI 200 primers in unsized cases with the bullet diameter of .3996" tight push into the throat. 
The rifle shows to be very particular with different compressions that look like the graphs of the stock markets. Up and down. I put the scope on the rifle for these ladder loads and only used the 2F OE powder because I'm down to 4# of Swiss 1.5 that needs to be reordered. I will load some tonight for tomorrows ladder loads. 
I set up on the 200 yard line for this work and the groups that need to be redone to confirm them are 62 gr of 2F OE with heavy compression that gave me a 1 1/4" vertical and 5/8 horizontal.
53 gr of the 2F OE 1 1/4 V and 1" H
54 gr 2F OE 3/4 V 3"H
another 53 gr of 2F OE 1" V 1/2" H
56 gr 2F OE 3/4" vertical 1 1/4" H
All in all the vertical is the important thing I look for, Horizontal is mostly fat fingering on my part. Above and below what I put down was bad to worse for the conditions I had today. But I will admit the bullets from the new mould were ugly by most part from the oil that did not get burned out mostly till the end of the casting session.
I will cast some more tonight and get them loaded in the morning  with Swiss 1.5 and 2F I have.
That 53 gr load will make a fine chicken load, very light recoil. I shot this load at Alma last weekend the day before the match and it put the rams down, but they laid down very slow.

The reason a dog has so many friends is because he wags his tail instead of his tongue.
08-18-2017, 08:34 PM (This post was last modified: 08-18-2017 08:36 PM by Dave Roelle.)
Nice Kurt. I'm still playing with a Paul Jones GG bullet. Nrxt match I'm going to try straight 20/1 it's just a tad bit softer than the 10 to 11 brinell I normally use -----just to see if it tightens things up a bit

Tomorrow is our monthly 22 match. Temps in the high 90's and barber towel humidity we should finish up by 11 before it really get hot !

Looking forward to the next range report !

Dave

08-18-2017, 09:23 PM
Dave I get by with the heat but when the humidity gets 80% plus the air is so heavy it feels like you have a 50 pound lead ingot on your chest and the T shirt gets soaked from just pulling the trigger it's time to sit in the air with a good brew in your hand Big Grin
Shoot straight...........Kurt

08-19-2017, 07:54 AM
Yup I know. As soon ask win this one ? I'll head for the pool for the afternoon and re-hydrate with a cold one or 4
Dave

08-19-2017, 11:21 AM
(08-18-2017 07:17 PM)Kurt Wrote:  Steve came through yesterday for me with the new mould I ordered and I think I might have the golden bullet from Brooks. I started up the lead pot and cast 50 and kept the best after the oil burned out of the blocks so I loaded up the first 3 shot ladder loads and conditions where almost perfect at the range today. The first go around I used the 390 gr secant ogive, I ordered a elliptical but it's more like a secant ogive 1.4" long. The nose is a little longer then I like and it might give me some problems in a strong head wind maybe, but this is to be found out when I get those conditions. All loads are made of 2F OE powder and CCI 200 primers in unsized cases with the bullet diameter of .3996" tight push into the throat. 
The rifle shows to be very particular with different compressions that look like the graphs of the stock markets. Up and down. I put the scope on the rifle for these ladder loads and only used the 2F OE powder because I'm down to 4# of Swiss 1.5 that needs to be reordered. I will load some tonight for tomorrows ladder loads. 
I set up on the 200 yard line for this work and the groups that need to be redone to confirm them are 62 gr of 2F OE with heavy compression that gave me a 1 1/4" vertical and 5/8 horizontal.
53 gr of the 2F OE 1 1/4 V and 1" H
54 gr 2F OE 3/4 V 3"H
another 53 gr of 2F OE 1" V 1/2" H
56 gr 2F OE 3/4" vertical 1 1/4" H
All in all the vertical is the important thing I look for, Horizontal is mostly fat fingering on my part. Above and below what I put down was bad to worse for the conditions I had today. But I will admit the bullets from the new mould were ugly by most part from the oil that did not get burned out mostly till the end of the casting session.
I will cast some more tonight and get them loaded in the morning  with Swiss 1.5 and 2F I have.
That 53 gr load will make a fine chicken load, very light recoil. I shot this load at Alma last weekend the day before the match and it put the rams down, but they laid down very slow.

That's impressive shooting that I can only dream about Kurt! At 200 yards I consider it good if I can keep all 10 shots on the 8-inch bull, it's an unusual day when I can get all 10 within 4 inches of vertical. What would you expect using iron sights? I am not fond of scopes, but maybe someday I'll have to give in.
Mike
08-19-2017, 01:38 PM
Mike these ladder loads where shot with a scoped rifle off the bench and sandbags. I do all my ladder loads from a solid rest. Here is the target I shot yesterday. The target is a 50 yard small bore rifle target with a 4" black bull perfect for shooting 200 yards with a scoped rifle.
With out getting a large framed picture I cant get all the targets in this frame. Some of the horizontal strings I'm sure was from not seeing a good sight picture I have a problem with even through a scope. The dark floaters I look through makes the sight picture look like looking through a spotted cob web.
I wont make the range anymore today to test the next ladder loads with the Swiss powder and confirm the tight groups on this target with a 10 shot group to see if they will hold a match relay. I wish O had a 500 yard field to do this work but I do with what I have.
Kurt
[Image: 36276287050_9ffa59a393_c.jpg]
IMG_3100 (2) by Kurt, on Flickr