Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
mini grease groove bullets
06-03-2017, 02:36 PM
mini grease groove bullets
I have a roller in 45-90, and I've been looking at the BACO 535 grain bullets. Because of case length issues with the roller I was going to go with the standard bullet, not the reduced front band one. Then they came out with the tapered front band bullet. That one interested me but I thought I would wait a bit and see if anybody developed an opinion of them. I haven't heard anyone talking about them but I thought I would give it a try. Then they came out with the mini groove bullet. I figured they were for the smokeless crowd so didn't look at them. Now I see in the last Black Powder Cartridge magazine that the world championship was won with these bullets. Opinions, thoughts? I'm so confused. Please don't tell me to try them all because I just shot my first silhouette and have enough to figure out.
Thank you
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-03-2017, 03:50 PM
RE: mini grease groove bullets
WELCOMEExclamation
BACO sells many moulds. Do you have a PN, so we are all on the same page?
Also-Some info on your Roller's barrel would be good(ROT, etc.).
Gary

Hav'n you along, is like losing two good men.....
06-03-2017, 04:51 PM
The mini groove bullets can work very well, but they must fit the barrel and throat just right, and wiping between shots with a Napa oil and water or similar solution is necessary to keep from having some nasty leading problems.

A wise man can always be found alone. A weak man can always be found in a crowd.
06-03-2017, 05:31 PM
Thank you for the replies. The bullet I was talking about is actually a 540 grain, BACO #459542. The rifle is an original receiver I got in a paper bag. The barrel is a Pac-Nor 18 twist stainless super match, 32 inches long. It shoots the BACO 435 grain money bullet very well but have since learned I need more bullet weight for the wind.
Wiping between shots was what I figured they were doing. From what I have seen here in Washington state at the match everyone was blow tubing. I'm still leaning toward the 535 grain bullet with the tapered driving band to start. Maybe trying to keep it simple to start with might be the smart way to get into this.
06-03-2017, 06:25 PM (This post was last modified: 06-03-2017 06:26 PM by Lumpy Grits.)
With the longer nose-Do you think the COAL will get you any issues with chambering a round?
G.

06-03-2017, 06:36 PM
I've shot the 458535M3 with good results at 1000 yds. and under.

A wise man can always be found alone. A weak man can always be found in a crowd.
06-03-2017, 07:31 PM
The coal I have is 3.170, that puts me .030 into the lands and that is where the 435 money bullet shoots the best. There is one grease groove exposed and I am using a .120 stack of wads to keep no air space behind the bullet. This is about as long as I can go without the hammer getting in the way. I believe that the longer bullet should fit. If not I can modify the hammer a bit. What is the difference between the m3 and m2 bullets?
06-03-2017, 07:39 PM
What's the powder chg you're using that requires a .120 wad stack in your .45-90?Huh
I'm run'n 85gn(weight)of Old 'E' 2f and compress about .370 with a .060 fiber wad in my .45-90.
I shoot a PJ C'moor, most of the time.
G.

06-03-2017, 11:55 PM
72 grains of Swiss 1 1/2 grains gives me 1310 fps over my chronograph. When I try to go higher the groups open dramatically. I think I am overdriving the bullet. When I built the rifle I thought that I could use the lighter bullet to learn this blackpowder thing without getting beat up from the recoil. I have since learned that this isn't how this works, and even the heavy bullets don't bother me with the recoil.
06-04-2017, 09:57 AM
What bullet weight did you use for that MV?
How much of that bullet is seated inside the case?
G.