Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Cap and Ball loads
10-08-2018, 09:38 AM
RE: Cap and Ball loads
Some new info on molds. Eras Gone has molds made by Lee for both the .36 and .44 C&B revolvers. The .36 is a accurate reproduction of the Colt conical. Compared to my bullets from the original mold they are spot on! The .44's are a copy of the Johnston & Dow bullets supplied to the Army during the war and is a very nice bullet but a little longer in the heel than the original Colt bullet and powder charges have to be adjusted down the seat the bullet below the cylinder face. Both molds drop beautiful bullets cast from pure lead. Waiting for a good day to test them on the range. Check them out if you are looking for very good conical bullets for your C&B revolvers.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-24-2018, 11:11 AM
.36 and .44 combustible paper cartridges for cap & ball revolvers. .36 and one .44 used coffee filter papers and the other used Southworth 55Y. The .36 has been dipped lubed with DGL and the .44"s are ready for lubing. Now I need a nice day to test them out.    
12-25-2018, 01:21 PM (This post was last modified: 12-25-2018 01:23 PM by Eric Johanen.)
Correction on the previous post. Seth Cole 55Y paper was used. This posting shows the modification to the loading ports to allow loading the paper cartridges. Metal must be removed from the loading port from lengthening the port and opening it on the top portion and removing metal from underneath the barrel. This can be determined by a bit of trial and error. Photo shows the cartridge interfering with the port and a cartridge loaded and positioned under the plunger. Work slow and trial fit and it is easily accomplished.[attachment=1320]     The Seth Cole 55Y gives the appearance of the combustible skin type cartridges used in some packets.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

02-15-2019, 10:05 AM
In the above photo of the cartridges the .36 used a square cut bottom. The .44's use a round cut bottom. I really like the appearance of the round cut bottoms and while it takes a few seconds longer to cut them round I like the look and the less paper on the round cut version. I will be changing the lube on the cartridges after viewing the method the Mark details in his video as I can see where a thinner coat of lube may help with accuracy. Can't wait for the weather to improve for some range time test the paper cartridges.