Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
New Project.
10-23-2016, 01:59 PM
New Project.
Found this 1 1/2 Smith and Western on Armslist. Didn't think  $110 was unreasonable. The .32 rimfire shells will be a challenge,  though,  or is there a source other than antique ammo and the late 1980s and early 1990s Navy Arms stuff?

Not much to look at,  like my .32-20 (carry gun, with "k frame or similar only" handloads from an old Lyman manual).... I like projects, honest old guns that have history about them more than the 99.9999% safe queen.

57xxx serial number, which is fairly late for a Second Issue. I found out Thursday that my mentor in the shooting sports passed away as a result of Agent Orange exposure.  This one is getting rebuilt, period. I think the nub on the front of the cylinder is adjustable to correct endshake, or does the cylinder stop assembly serve to stabilize the cylinder for endshake purposes?

[Image: 1e215086063762966c0a1352233a44aa.jpg]
<br />
<br />
[Image: 1dd6ee5bde0668a1e29a5e5b0b292eb6.jpg]
<br />
<br />
[Image: 3f451aef722f5f6b95ffc14589cfd9e4.jpg]
<br />
<br />
I haven't seen many stronger bores in blackpowder era pocket guns, especially that have seen any amount of use. This will be a perfect memorial to my friend;  he always told me to look for bore condition before cosmetics.

I have a guy who can rebuild the broken hinge eyelet.  Somebody correct me if I am wrong  (and provide a reliable source for the info) but I don't think there's any heat treated parts in this gun other than the hammer and trigger (case hardened), and it appears that the primary material is "malleable iron", what we call "wrought iron " in East Tennessee.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-24-2016, 12:51 PM
RE: New Project.
Boy, you have a neat old Smith. Regarding ammo, I think Fiocchi makes the .32 RF. Check Widners over in Johnson City. Personally, I would investigate converting to .32 centerfire if you are going to rebuild the gun. A .32 Short with black powder should work just fine. Accurate Molds will make a proper mold for the cartridge. Good luck.
10-25-2016, 04:48 AM
did bill hickock have a gun like that when he was shot in the back.
I seem to recall reading it was a 32 of some sort.
if so it would suggest he was not really planning on any serious gunplay.
prior to that he used 36 cal, also suggesting he was not the serious killer of legend, probably relying on reputation, real or other, more than action.
keep safe,
bruce.
10-28-2016, 09:55 AM
(10-25-2016 04:48 AM)bruce moulds Wrote:  did bill hickock have a gun like that when he was shot in the back.
I seem to recall reading it was a 32 of some sort.
if so it would suggest he was not really planning on any serious gunplay.
prior to that he used 36 cal, also suggesting he was not the serious killer of legend, probably relying on reputation, real or other, more than action.
keep safe,
bruce.

People, like big game have, over the years, gotten harder to kill. Was a time when a fellow armed with a .38-56 or even a .38-40 was ready for all occasions in the hunting field but as we all know, it takes at least a .416 Whamenslammer to kill a deer. Back in the day, almost any bullet wound was terminal, some faster than others but terminal.