Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
.44 Colt
05-01-2016, 11:46 AM
.44 Colt
One of the Cimarron copies of the Colt Richards-Mason conversion came my way in .44 Colt caliber. This six-gun is impressing me very nicely, more than I expected, and wonder if anyone else out there is shooting the .44 Colt? At this time I'm using .44/40 style bullets in the .44 Colt cases, by Starline, with 25 grains of OE 2F for a blackpowder load or 5 grains of Unique for a smogless load. The blackpowder load is attention getting, for sure. The gun makes a good side-kick to a '74 Sharps and this one should see quite a bit of use. Shoot sharp, Mike
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-01-2016, 12:21 PM
RE: .44 Colt
There was a fella at Ekalaka that was shooting one of those , but it may have been a 38,, Anyway, Warren liked his. I also think Kenny Wasserburger has one.

A wise man can always be found alone. A weak man can always be found in a crowd.
05-01-2016, 01:10 PM
I've got a buddy up here who rather quickly ended up with three of these conversion copies, one in .44 Colt and two more in .38 Spec. The guns are certainly well made. Mine has a very nice trigger pull too. Now I'm thinking about getting a fairly authentic looking bullet for my .44, probably something from Accurate Molds. Shoot sharp, Mike
05-01-2016, 01:51 PM
I must admit to be tempted by those once in a while.

A wise man can always be found alone. A weak man can always be found in a crowd.
05-01-2016, 02:03 PM (This post was last modified: 05-01-2016 02:05 PM by Mike.)
Hey Ranch, All I can say is "go for it!" You won't be disappointed. The .44 Colts my buddy and I have are marked ".44 Colt" but they also take .44 Russians. In fact, they'll chamber .44 Specials. And, word I hear from Cimarron is they're going to discontinue the .44 Colt/44 Russian designation and go with .44 Spec/.44 Colt/.44 Russian. I don't know if that's a done deal or not. Anyway, I kind'a like mine with ".44 Colt" on the underside of the barrel. That just adds a touch of authenticity even though today's .44 Colt ain't quite like the old .44 Colts with their outside lubricate bullets. And I like the Richards-Mason version better than some of the others. Cimarron also makes the 1872 "Open top" and those look very nice. Originally all of the 1872 revolvers were in .44 Henry rim fire caliber so, to me, the copies lose a little bit of authenticity to be made in centerfire calibers. That wouldn't stop me from getting one though... So far the most accurate shooting I've experienced with this .44 Colt has been while shooting .44 Russian ammo, reloads. Those just hit the best. The .44 Colts with the lighter bullet also shoot very nicely but they hit just a bit low, probably due to less recoil with the lighter bullets. Of course, I will keep trying... Shoot sharp, Mike
05-01-2016, 02:06 PM
44 special would be good. I'm all set up for that.

05-01-2016, 02:29 PM
They make 'em. Shoot sharp, Mike
05-01-2016, 03:35 PM
I'd let you hear it if I could... Shoot sharp, Mike

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

05-01-2016, 03:52 PM
Big Grin Yeh buddy, that's what we're talkinbout.Rolleyes

05-02-2016, 11:50 AM
I've the 72 open top and a Navy Richards conversion. They are a hoot and am shooting the 44 Colt brass. Mainly because the 72 came with 10 boxes of ammo thrown in!!! What I like about either one is they are natural pointers.