Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Casper 22 BPCR Target rifle match June 27
06-30-2015, 03:53 PM
Casper 22 BPCR Target rifle match June 27
Our inaugural 22 BPCR target rifle match was held following our 22 Silhouette match on Saturday, June 27, 2015. We had the target boards, steel gongs, and paper targets ready to go. Don McDowell helped set up the range and we talked about how it would be run as we placed the targets.

At each range (100, 150, and 200 meters) we placed a target board with two paper targets on it. Beside each paper target, we placed an 8 inch steel swinger with an off white paper target behind it so you might see the misses as you got on target. Each relay was 8 minutes and 15 seconds for unlimited sighters and 10 shots on the paper scoring target.

We had 5 shooters elect to stay and try their hand at this event. since we had 6 targets posted, everyone drew their starting target by chance. The odd number left Don shooting by himself without a spotter/coach and the rest of us shooting with our silhouette partners. Don shot with a scope so he didn't feel as though he was too handicapped. As the scores show, he didn't seem to need any help.

Name class 100 150 200 total
Don McDowell trad-scope 95-2x 94-2x 73 262-4x 1st
Alison Youngberg trad-iron 96-1x 81-1x 74 251-2x 2nd
Bryan Youngberg trad-iron 89 75-1 76 240-1x 3rd
Mark Chandler open 89-2 79 57 224-2x
Rick Lupcho trad-iron 91-3 75-1 46 212-4x

It was hotter than blazes while we shot this match. We were able to change out the targets between shooters pretty quick so the whole match went fast. I don't think we spend 2 hours shooting it and cleaning up the range after we were done. I think 3 relays would work well for this game to have the "off" relay available to change targets while the other relays are getting set up for their turn.

As far as the targets, we had horrendous mirage as the heat built up. You could see the bullet holes in paper pretty well at 100 meters. At 150, the mirage made visibility come and go a little bit but you mostly saw the group form on the target. At 200 meters all bets were off on seeing your shots. I think cooler clean air might let you see your hits pretty well but we all shot in the same conditions. The sighter gongs showed hits at all distances. The strategy seemed to be to get centered up on the gong and then go for score, if you could see any hits, adjust as you went along. 100 and 150 ran much like a big bore target rifle match with the wind calls and adjustments through the string of shots.

We talked a little about using some kind of "shoot-n-see" targets but for now, I think we'll stick with this format. We'll consider having another match of this type in July if the weather isn't too rough.

Thanks to all who came out and endured the heat.

Bryan Youngberg
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-30-2015, 08:33 PM
RE: Casper 22 BPCR Target rifle match June 27
Tip of the hat to Mr. Youngberg for coming up with such a great idea for this match. It's a good one, I wish we had of thought to took some pictures of the targets.
Great match to try at your local clubs, it may just take off like a rocket.

A wise man can always be found alone. A weak man can always be found in a crowd.
06-30-2015, 08:35 PM
RE: Casper 22 BPCR Target rifle match June 27
One thing I found very interesting on the 150 meter target, I could see every bullet going down range and track it into the target thru my MVA scope.. That was a hoot all in itself.

A wise man can always be found alone. A weak man can always be found in a crowd.