Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Trying
09-05-2014, 09:44 AM
Trying
After using sixguns for 40+ years I'm trying to get a handle on a couple semi-autos. These things are a completely different animal. Fired these targets last week offhand as quickly as the sights aligned. I really like the M&P Compact. So far only 350 rounds fired but once I'm proficient it will be my CCW if thing keep going well. Been using the CZ 75 for a truck gun & targets of opportunity [mostly rocks].

[Image: 20140905_091826.jpg]

Dry Creek Firewood
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-05-2014, 08:28 PM
RE: Trying
Looks to me like your off to a good start. It is quite a change from having things go round and round to one that ping pongs back and forth. I feel that a little more practice and a little load development and things will settle in for you.
I had read many many years ago that the Truncated Cone bullet was an excellent performer in the 9mm. I have not looked for a while so I don't know what the availability of TC bullet molds are like at the moment. I did however get very lucky earlier this year and picked up a double cavity Lyman mold in as new condition. And the price was right.
It does sound like you have 2 very good platforms to play with and in time you will become very comfortable with them.
Keep up the practice and good shooting.
Sam
09-06-2014, 10:21 PM
These are fun to shoot. I chose the 9MM cause of cheap components. Figured this way I could shoot more & learn quicker.

Dry Creek Firewood
09-07-2014, 08:58 AM
Yep understand the cost factor. Also there is the recoil thing to deal with. With the 9 is it very light and managable. I perfer a 45 on the 1911 platform and that is more recoil and I think a little longer learning curve, but thats just me. There have been many improvements in the 9mm's over the years and they are a lot more accurate now than they used to be. And you have many many choices of launch vehicles.
I do have one, a clone of a Browning HP. It shoots but is no match gun. The only real complaint I have about the 9 at this point is them little bitty cases and fumbling around with them to reload them. I have reloaded .380 auto in the past but that was back when my fingers were quite nimble and such. Now not so much. If I shot it more, I would invest in a conversion kit for my Dillon to run the 9 through and make life easier. Last week one day I did set it up and run a box of .45's through it and I had forgotten just how nice that press was to run.
I think it will be interesting to see how you improve over time and as your skills get better and your groups shrink, which gun comes out on top accuracy wise. I think both are good. You just don't hear of much about the CZ like you do about all the other offerings on the market these days.
Take care
Sam