Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Colt New Frontier.. ?
04-11-2020, 10:19 AM
RE: Colt New Frontier.. ?
I don't have any experience with the new flat tops. Had an opportunity to get one once, but unfortunately at the time, the funds just simply weren't there.
I do however have one of the Vaquero's in 45 colt on that original frame size, outside of the flat paneled grips, it feels an awful lot like a Colt. I believe that if a pair of the Colt eagle grips could be fitted to that frame size it would be awfully hard to tell which was which in a blindfold test, until you cocked the hammer.

A wise man can always be found alone. A weak man can always be found in a crowd.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-11-2020, 05:52 PM
Thanks for the feed back Don. I'm pretty sure it will be a good buy but it will be a 'sight unseen' purchase if I go ahead with it. I've had Blackhawks before and they are a solid gun ..but never felt balanced in the hand for me. Hoping this one can satisfy my appetite until I can get that 44 special back home. I think most new firearms acquisitions are on a 'go slow' down here in convict land but I'll see how things pan out in the next few weeks.
J.B.

" Don't know where I'm going but there's no sense being late " !
04-11-2020, 06:16 PM
Let us know when you get the gun. I'ld grab one of the new Rugers in 44 special if I found one. Might even consider one of the 50th anniversary 357's.

A wise man can always be found alone. A weak man can always be found in a crowd.
04-12-2020, 03:50 PM
JB, I use .44 mag OMV Rugers in SASS/CAS competition.
I'm sure you'll really like it.
Can you buy Unique powder there?
If not, what about WW 231?
Gary

Hav'n you along, is like losing two good men.....
04-12-2020, 07:35 PM
Thanks Gary. We can usually get Alliant powders here.. although supply is intermittent. I've some Unique and W231 sitting here waiting. I've had Rugers before... a 357 Blackhawk and a Super Blackhawk some years back. Certainly solid and well made. Just never really like the way they 'hefted' and went with Ubertis...and later USFA single actions for cowboy action shooting. If I was starting now...I'd probably opt for the new Vaquero as they are apparently a lot closer to the original S.A.A. in heft that the old model. I had been hoping to secure a 5 1/2" New Frontier in .44 Special but its not going to happen. They aren't available over here and the U.S. prices are climbing all the time. The limited run Ruger flat tops would seem a good compromise at an achievable price for me..so that's what I'm heading for now. As I said... I secured one to bring back after the Q but that's not going to happen for at least another 14 months now...so I'm looking at this .45 Colt flat top to keep me entertained in the mean time. I've loaded both cartridges before..so I've got loads and moulds a plenty. Not that keen on the polymer ivory grips in the photo of it though...but can change those out later. My USFA had 'tru ivory' grips...and they really looked the part. Don't believe Bar S grips ..that handled 'tru-ivory' is going any more. Possibly went the same way as U.S.F.A. That was a huge loss..they produced great single actions.

04-14-2020, 05:50 PM
It's been many years since I had a pair of New Frontiers and at a weaker moment I wanted some match pistols for the bullseye matches and sold them to get that 1911 gold cup, a 1911 38 special gold cup I only kept for maybe a couple months because I didn't like the blowback action did to the cases and bought that 52 master that shoots the .38 wad cutters (forth down on the right) and a .22 "The Victor" #3 on the right. I always regretted selling the colts. The only colt revolver I have it the .44 Anaconda on top. I really like that Colt with loaded down with light .44 special loads.
The bottom is a U.S.F.A in .44-40. It's a fins shooter but it's just not a short barrel Colt.

The reason a dog has so many friends is because he wags his tail instead of his tongue.
04-14-2020, 06:05 PM
Nice collection Kurt. I'm certainly sorry I parted with my USFA's but its history now unfortunately. Bought them probably around 16 or so years ago. Perfectly finished and were indexed and timed like a Swiss watch. Their sale helped me buy another Shiloh ..so it wasn't for naught. I do miss them though... and I cant order them again now. Sorry we won't have the chance to catch up this year but see if I can't use up some of your ammo at Big Hill in 2021. Take care.

Gavin.

04-14-2020, 08:28 PM
Gavin.

I'm looking forward to that happening. You will shoot the same ammo as I will with my .44-77 Shiloh Farmer but that's just what I will tell you LOL, I might load yours with fire cracker powder LOL

Stay safe.......Kurt

The reason a dog has so many friends is because he wags his tail instead of his tongue.