Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Sometimes one just....
07-15-2014, 03:11 PM
Sometimes one just....
gets away from you. Smile

http://www.icollector.com/Shiloh-Sharps-..._i13827572

The reason a dog has so many friends is because he wags his tail instead of his tongue.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-15-2014, 03:20 PM
RE: Sometimes one just....
I bet the dumbass who had it auctioned there wonders where he left his marbles, wow what a deal someone got. bobw
07-15-2014, 05:21 PM
Bob usually I'm just a few days to late, but not a couple years Smile

The reason a dog has so many friends is because he wags his tail instead of his tongue.
07-15-2014, 09:14 PM
You just had to show that didn't you? Me, who just now is back to some normalcy in sleep patterns! lol. Hell, it had to be the single trigger that knocked the price down! Yep...that was it.
07-15-2014, 09:25 PM
Maybe the crescent butplate also? ")

07-16-2014, 02:22 PM
Kurt, this are the comments my friend of many years in Georgia "Slamfire Wiggins" had to offer. He's been around these things and shooting them from the get go and I think he's on the money! Also, I don't think Shiloh had a damn thing to do with the rifle...seller put that in the title to get attention I bet.

Slamfire has an aversion to forums but I'm trying to convince him to come online despite his propensity to worship all things attributed to Frank Mayer.Rolleyes

His comments:

1) The lock plate is marked with the early percussion era C. Sharps, Pat. Oct 5th 1852. I've never seen a Shiloh breech loader with that mark on the lock plate.

2) The lock plate is of the early thick plate design.

3) There are no Shiloh makers roll stamp in the tradition place on the left side of the receiver. There also aren't any visible original Sharps markings either! They could have been polish off or thin it the receiver had some rust?

4) Hell, the whole receiver group drips original Sharps parts to me except the the Breech Block! Original receivers are hand finished and have warm rounded contour lines. Shiloh receivers look machine made with rather sharp & blocky contour lines. Even the Hammer screw, hammer and lever release pin appear to have original warm lines. I don't believe the breech block is original because originals have more rounded(pleasing edges)than the Shiloh Breech Block at the top.

5) I guess its possible that the custom order requested that an early percussion era lock plate be used instead of the latter cartridge era plate. But why the hell go to all the extra trouble?

I'm probably full of sheit as a Christmas Turkey, but I believe Shiloh built this Gemmer around and original receiver. It's kinda scary that the Barrel has Gemmer ST. Louis marks on it!!!!
07-16-2014, 03:01 PM
The impression I got when I saw it was if that rifle was from the Wolfgang's time maybe it was made like that ??? hard to say what Wolf might have done. Or it was reconditioned by Shiloh. It's hard to say what was going on with this rifle with out some records. The wood looked fairly recent, but regardless for what that rifle was sold for I would have picked it up for that price.

Kurt

07-16-2014, 06:49 PM
Please let me wade in for just a bit. That rifle is not quite a twin to my own "Gemmer/Sharps" .50/90 that was made for me in 1979 by C. Sharps Arms, back when C. Sharps was the custom shop for Shiloh. C. Sharps did make a few rifles using some original parts and I can remember some comments about using new breech blocks in those old actions, with original locks or lock plates. The rifle in question has a heavier barrel than mine, plus the Hartford collar, but otherwise it really looks like the early work of C. Sharps Arms when they were located in Richland, Washington. And, of course, I sure wish I had seen it first...
08-20-2014, 05:14 PM
Hello Kurt, this is yer far East flatlander from Ohio (we met at Big Hill in June) Since I have "outlaw" tendencies like use of smokeless, it follows when opportunity came recently to dive in head first "Some times one just.... " pool it was taken. I'll apologize up front to traditional BPCR fans. Please be kind as this about 45-70 and gong type event. Or drag up what ya bring matches. Hope that disclaimer suffices. Very recently I came across a very good Lyman Centennial 1 of 1000 Ruger #1 in Mahogany case and all. After haggle it was mine for reasonable sum. With only a few 457124 greasers on hand 12 rds were loaded. It was just in time for a local silhouette match so the rig was tried (with groups permission) @ 100 yd line (only bore sighted). My '74 Sharps was used for rest of match. The #1 was set up with the 36 " 4X scope it came with and unofficial score of 10/10 was run up at 100 yd Chicks. Since as you might recall this geezer had a torn rotator cuff, I shot the #1 off sticks and we did not post the perfect score for record. I finished the rest of match with 34/40 with ye Ol Sharps. Here is the kicker and so folks will possibly forbear such "Just have to"[/size][/font] have experience. On 8th of July the surgeons worked over my right shoulder. They are so proud of their handiwork it's been declared said shoulder may not be used for 6 months and the arm attached should lift no more than 1-2 lbs. for 6 weeks. As qualifier to allow diverse taste in rifle I passed 70th year mark this month too. Besides it is a darn beautiful rifle piece and a shooter to boot. I just had ta, RobertB
08-20-2014, 07:29 PM
Hi Robert.

Well welcome to the over the hill gang Bob. Smile Last Monday I had a long Chinese finger shoved up my artery and the shoulder was repaired several years ago also. In the last 4 years I just about spent as much time on that white table as I want.
I feel for you about the shoulder. Just wait till they unwrap your arm and have you pin the golf t into a pegboard as high as you can. I couldn't get it above my belt line Tongue
Maybe when I can lift more than 4 lbs I will be able to push the gun cart againSmile

I wont tell anybody what they should shoot or not as long as it's in a safe manner.